Monday, January 31, 2011

One Small Flaw

August 1st, 1985, I saw my first concert ever. I went to see Power Station. Upon entering the Seattle Arena, I knew nothing about the opening band, OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.)

Although I was hyped to see my favorite spin-off band, I was not bored or disappointed to have to wait while I watched this other band I was totally unfamiliar with. They were very good.

It was after that night I began hearing their songs on the radio. There were only a few but, what they lacked in quantity, they made up for in quality. However, the radio stations did not agree with me and did not play OMD music very often.

Then, came 1986. Bad! Bad OMD year! Hiss! Icky!

It was like that for me.

OMD released a song that I did not like. I felt that it was far below their standards and lacking in originality. "If You Leave" left me feeling like I wanted that four minutes of my life back.

So naturally, that's the song that raced up the charts and ALL the radio stations had to play it roughly 500 times an hour. If there is a hell, "If You Leave" would be its theme song. The radio stations forgot all other OMD songs.

Of course, I will not post that song here. If you want to hear it, tune in to any station that plays 80s music. It will be playing. If you wait about an hour, they'll do it again.

Instead, I will post a piece that I believe is a fine example of the talents of OMD.



No comments:

Post a Comment