Saturday, January 8, 2011

Let's Celebrate

Happy Birthday, David Bowie!
January 8th!

The 80s was a time that he made a bunch of music he didn't much like, but he can't escape it because of fans like me who like it a lot!

Unfortunately, I missed his concerts during that decade, but I have seen him in action 3 times since. The last time, during his Reality Tour, my mom, husband (we were married less than a year then), and kids came along. The kids were were 7 and 4. The ticket guy told them, "You have cooler parents than I did."

My kids were dealing with a very bad and abusive situation but custody laws prevented me from protecting them. Things changed on January 8, 2007, when they told their therapist some new information concerning their problem; information they once held back out of fear. This information started a big reaction. The laws that kept me from helping my kids before were now working with me.

The small and powerless little ones were suddenly the ones who caused a domino effect and changed everything in big ways; kind of a David and Goliath thing. Fast forward: They were removed from the unsafe situation, my husband adopted them as his own children, and they are now thriving.

I am proud of my kids being so brave then. I think David Bowie would be happy to know that two of his younger fans were brave on such a significant day! Time to party!



No comments:

Post a Comment