Saturday, January 29, 2011

It Will Be Forever

The 80s covered a large variety of rock, though not all of them were commonly heard on the radio.

Heavy metal had a difficult time making it into the mainstream airplay. Much of this was because people feared the reputation of the bands being possibly Satanic and promoting evil messages.

Not being a huge fan of heavy metal myself, I don't know how much of it was rumor and how much of it was used for the sake of shock-value. I don't doubt that there was some evil forces behind some of the music, but, to be fair, the same can be said for any other kind of music.

I have a brother who loves heavy metal. Iron Maiden is his breath of fresh air. Iron Maiden was for him what Duran Duran was for me. There were many teen clashes in our household. His room was on one side of the house. Mine on the other. Woe to anyone in the middle of the house who had the fortune to listen to both of our stereos at once.

Not understanding the appeal, I often asked questions about Iron Maiden. My brother assured me that the band is not Satanic nor do the members believe in the occult.

Since he was the Maiden fan, I believe he knew what he was talking about. After all, I have dealt with some self-righteous twits who would scrutinize Duran lyrics and look for reasons to think the band was unwholesome, but I knew better.

Although I still don't understand the appeal for Iron Maiden, I highly respect their gift of longevity and their talent of drawing in new fans throughout their career.

My brother still loves them. He travels around the country to catch concerts and has met the band on occasion. That's amazing devotion that has me impressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment