Sunday, February 5, 2012

Always Forgetting It's Not New

Yes, another post about remakes. All too often, a remake comes out, causing the latest generation to think it's a brand new song.

I remember in the early 9os, DC Talk remade the 1970s hit from The Doobie Brothers, "Jesus Is Just Alright." While I was listening to the Doobie version, a young teen friend lamented that "the original from DC Talk" was better than this. Yes, he was serious. Yes, you bet I set him straight!

"Always On My Mind," originally a country music song from the early 1970s, is a beautiful song that has graced the airwaves over the years by several different artists.

My favorite to date is by The Pet Shop Boys. Call me stuck in the 80s, but I love the trademark synthesizer sound that dominated the decade and the way it carried the song along with it.

I also thought it was funny how many of my friends at the time believed it to be a brand new song. Apparently, they had forgotten that Willie Nelson remade it famous only five years previous to the PSB release. Ironic, considering the name of the song...

No comments:

Post a Comment