Monday, October 10, 2011

Hart Flutter

When I was in the 8th grade, we had what was called a Culture Fair, similar to a Science Fair, where everyone makes a display project for a grade, except that this was for a Social Studies grade.

I am reminded of Corey Hart's version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" not only because it was famous at that time, but because on the other side of my project, facing the other way, was a project about music and about how modern artists work with older pieces. Mainly, it was about how Corey Hart modernized an Elvis Presley song.

A cassette was playing during the entire fair. Over and over, I listened to Presley's version, then Hart's version, then Presley's, then Hart's, etc. etc...

I am not a bit Elvis fan, but I do like that song, and I do like the other version too. It's just that both versions were hammered into me for a long time after the fair was over. I never wanted to hear that song again.

However, Hart's song turned out to be one of those hits that is famous at the time of release but is then forgotten. Even I forgot it.

In a store today, I overheard someone talking about a Culture Fair and I thought about that song. I've not heard it for over a quarter of a century now and decided to give it an ear. I'm glad I did. It's very pretty and worth listening to it several times, so long as it's not overdone.

No comments:

Post a Comment