Thursday, August 4, 2011

Y'all right?

It's a cool thing when genres of music cross over one another. When one turns on a station of contemporary pop music, one would hardly expect to hear country, but it has been known to happen, and sometimes with awesome results.

Dolly Parton, a known country western singer, has skipped over the boundaries dividing pop and country several times in her career, enchanting the pop airwaves with her delightful southern twang.

One such song that graced those of us who don't listen to much country was "9 to 5." It was the title soundtrack of a film about three secretaries (one of them being Dolly) and a chauvinist pig for a boss.

When I first tried to see the film on HBO as a kid, I watched how the three women got themselves into a pickle, and then I left the room. I was too fearful that these nice ladies would never get out of this mess and I couldn't bear to watch them dig themselves deeper. When it was over, my brother assured me things turned out fine and it was safe to watch the whole thing next time it came on; after all, Dolly Parton was in it.

Ain't nobody gonna lock up that purty country-pop-star singer!



No comments:

Post a Comment